CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

May 15, 2008

Totally Red !!!

On April 29th I was able to go see a play with Anja and her Pre-school/Kindergarten class. Here she is while we are waiting for the bus to pick us up.
There is this really pretty church right across the street from their school. I have always wanted to take pictures of. I snapped this one while turning the corner inside the bus. It is all angles but I think it came out pretty anyway...
Here we are wedged in the bus like sardines. This little girl is in another classroom. All three preK/K classes went on this fieldtrip. This is Anja's second time riding the bus and by her smile you can tell she approves!
We got to the Phoenix Theater and had to wait just a few minutes to enter. It is hard to explain but basically there are lots of buildings surrounding this courtyard. One of them is the Phoenix Theater and another is the Phoenix Art Museum. I like that all these different theaters and museums are all connected. It makes visiting them so convenient. Anja was being so cute she kept asking me to take her picture and then she would totally pose. She saw this pole and informed me that it would look good if she knelt down...I think she was right...
So this is why I titled the post Totally Red. It was the name of the play we went and saw. It was Essentially little red riding hood but they kept retelling the story in different styles. Like Shakespeare style where red is obviously played by a guy. The kids found this hilarious! The company that performed is called the Cookie company. If you are ever in Phoenix look them up. They cater to a youthful audience and do a great job. I was laughing right along with the kids. They did a version of Red where they take her out of the woods and into the hood. She has a red running suit on and sunglasses and they are all dancing to Mc Hammer "you can't touch this" during the scene where the wolf is chasing red. It was really fun and I am glad I got to go!
After the play was done we found out why they are called the Cookie Company. Everyone gets a cookie and a carton of milk at the end. Here is Anja with her milk mustache.
The courtyard is called the Dorrance Sculpture garden and has many cool sculptures to look at. Here Anja is doing her best to immitate the "five dancing" sculpture by Magdalena Abakanowicz. I was actually impressed to see her work featured here. She is a pretty famous sculptor from Poland and is regarded to be one of the most important and influential female artists of the 20th century. Well her artwork certainly inspired this little girl!
Here she is with a statue by Robert Arneson who is deceased. This sculpture was a self portrait of the artist. Called "no Pain" I wonder if he did this one during the time period where he was suffering with liver cancer?
Here we have "The Personal Miraculous Fountain" by Jaume Plensa. Can I just say that I love google because without it I would have thought this was a giant eggplant spouting water....nope it is so much more than that.... I found it miraculous in Arizona....anywhere you see water running continuously in the desert is miraculous!

So that was the end of our cultural experience. I hope to go back soon!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Okay, so glad to see you googled it, cause I was like 'and she even knew how to spell Maggie Abakadabba-whatever?? DANG!!!'
That play looks so fun/cool! And how fun to get a cookie at the end. Even if the play bombed I would still go for the cookie! LOL! And miss Anja is so darn ADORABLE! Love that she was posing and such!

McB's said...

HEHE, i was thinking the same thing that Esther is such a smart history buff, wow, but um, she's just pretending. And I mean that in the most loving way :)

Davianne said...

What a fun field trip! Now I totally want to see that play, it's sounds so fun!! And thanks for explaining what that water thing was. I would have had no idea ether.

Klare said...

Oh fun! I have yet to go ona field trip with any of my kids. The one who will most likely get me at all of them is Ryder. lol
I love Anja and her poses. Awesome!

Kati said...

i totally love the photo of the church... i have a thing for taking photo's of old churches.