CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

March 25, 2008

South Mountain Fieldtrip

So on March 6th I went on a field trip with Triston's class. They were going to go hiking to the South Mountain which is a 15 minute drive south of the school. I volunteered to be one of the driving chaperone's. One of Triston's classmates has a grandfather who is a petroglyph expert so he came along to point out some petroglyph's in those mountains. Now since I took Liam hiking on President's Day I figured I could handle taking him on another hike. Ben decided to have a take your daughter to work day with Nika and so it was just me and Liam. I had looked up the hike path that morning before we left and was a little worried since the path they were hiking was listed as Difficult - fairly steep and long 2.5 miles. I thought well that can't be right these are a bunch of 1st through 3rd graders. Well thankfully we didn't hike the whole trail we just walked back a little and looked at the petroglyph's.
It is funny how I always get the speech from Triston about how,
"youuuu haveeee to commmmeeeee mommmmmm."And then get pretty much ignored the whole time I am there...
Oh well it was still fun. The expert is the guy holding the large stick.
Actually it is a Saguaro hiking staff made from the skeletal remains of an actual saguaro cactii
like this one right here.

Waiting to hikeTriston's cute teacher...
Some authentic petroglyphs from the Hohokam Tribes. Some I would have never noticed if we didn't have a guide pointing them out. Others were quite
bright!


All in all it was a fun trip and a nice hike!

4 comments:

Camille said...

Well that sounds cool!!! Hannah's class is going on a field trip next week to the zoo. She is the opposite of Triston. She said to me "Well...I guess you could come..." and then in a happier tone says "But, if Tucker needs to take a nap, then you won't, huh?!" Thanks kid!!! LOL!!!

Davianne said...

That sounded like fun! You guys have pretty cool stuff close by. I hope Nika was good for Ben.

Andersons said...

Holy cow, you're chaperoning fieldtrips? It was just last year we were going to Plummer dances!

Klare said...

You are so awesome to go! I have yet to go on a field trip with either of my kids. I want to so bad but never have anyone to watch my little ones as little ones aren't allowed to go. Oh well, one day. Glad you had fun!