CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

July 20, 2008

An Admission....

So the book club met this month and we discussed the book.

A great read and not what you would think from the title. It really is all about improving as a wife. The author Merrilee Boyack is LDS and the book is how to improve your marriage not your spouse. Anyhow I liked it and learned a few things. She starts out talking about how as women we don't really admit to doing anything wrong. So it is unusual to have a woman write a book about her faults as a wife. Ben and I both know I am not perfect but I don't know how comfortable I would be declaring those faults to the general public. However in the spirit of encouraging others I will let you know that I am not even close to being a perfect wife or mother for that matter!
It doesn't mean I stop trying or that I say "Take me or leave me" it is just a fact that I constantly fall short.
Which is why I am thankful for the atonement and the ability to admit to my faults and strive to improve. What a wise Father in Heaven we have that he already knew we would mess up and he left us this awesome plan to fix all our mess-ups.
Anyhow I just was thinking about all the little things we do as women to put on this perfect front and all it really does is make other women feel bad that they aren't doing those same things for their family. Darn you Martha Stewart!
Anyhow I will now admit to one thing that through my silence I am taking mommy credit for ...
Nika has these beautiful baby curls that I have been unwilling to part with. Ben likes the girls to have long hair and I could not part with the curls at the bottom of her hair. I know that once I cut them they will not come back (mostly since the rest of her hair is straight)
This causes some stress in our house because combing through curls is not always easy and getting her hair done is probably Nika's least favorite activity. So cutting those curls would definitely improve on that experience. And TRUST me there have been many a morning where I am ready to lob it all off! But no, I endure the madness that is combing through Nika's hair and the end result is always beautiful slightly curled locks. To which I always get a ton of compliments on. People are surprised when I tell them that they are her baby curls and that I have never cut her hair. She is turning 4 in a little over a week and has yet to see scissors touch her head. Except of course for the slight lock that was stolen from her head courtesy of big brother.
Anyhow I guess I never really thought about it but I have unknowingly made other mothers feel bad because they think I take the time to curl her hair to perfection each morning. By my silence I am allowing this image to be seen by the world.
So now I feel relieved the truth is out. I no longer have to live the lie of perfect momdum.... I am human and so are the rest of you!

2 comments:

Klare said...

You are funny. You are Super Mom! And I have to add Super Wife, dealing with my brother... Did I say that!?!

On the curls subject, yes, they will probably be gone once they re cut. Eve's never came back after we cut her hair and I really miss them sometimes. But she looked pretty carn cute with the bob she had. ;)

McB's said...

Ya just to let you know I got this book too a while ago after a friend recommended it to me but I have to tell you that I'm not all about me needing to change and give praise to my husband for everything he does. These books upset me really because they need to do things because they need to and do I get praise for all the mundane things I have to do? No, but we are supposed to do that to them and boost them so they are more willing...whatever! I'm glad you like it though :)